November 23, 2011

Harvard Medical School - Essay - Sep 19, 1961

I like to compare myself occasionally to an illustrated calendar wherein each month of the year is represented by a correlating scene. Like these variations in theme, my personality consists of a wide variety of characteristics. To elucidate, frequently I enjoy the companionship of people (fortunately, I have been able to make friends readily, having the capacity, it seems, of putting people at ease); on other occasions, I appreciate solitude, with no around except the world of nature. I have an energetic sense of organization, a real drive to plunge into work, and a perseverance to see things through to a gratifying conclusion. My desire to keep active leads me to many new projects as the old ones are completed, but varied as my interests are, I have yet maintained a few steady, favorite ones, such as natural science and scouting.

My numerous activities have afforded me a wide range of experiences and opportunities to meet and to understand many types of people. In scouting and in high school I became acquainted with boys from different backgrounds, and found I could adapt readily to their world. They, in turn, accepted me and were willing to trust and to confide in me. (This is a kind of trust I have always valued.) This summer, while traveling through Europe as a member of the Smith-Amherst Chamber Singers, I had the good fortune of meeting people from many nations, and from them I was able to gain insight into their way of life to attain a new perspective of the different worlds in which we live.

As a senior at Amherst, I look forward to writing my thesis in a branch of bio-chemistry, and I feel that my enthusiasm and interest in this field will make my project a rewarding one. I shall also be engaged in other activities - - advising freshmen as their dorm proctor, and working with the Glee Cub as its manager. However, these interests will not affect the quality of my thesis, for it is my nature to produce best results when busiest and under pressure.

In analyzing the many facets of my personality, I do recognize that occasionally I am reluctant to seek advice, preferring to work things out my own way. I suspect that this might be termed a liability.

To outline my purpose in pursuing a medical education, emphasis must be made on my keen interest in science throughout all my high school and college years. While my pursuits include music, drama, and sports, my enthusiasm for the world of science is by far the greatest. This has led me to serve in the capacity of laboratory instructor at college for the past two years and to elect to write a thesis on bio-chemistry. I am confident I would be happiest in the field of medicine as a career, and my numerous relatives and friends who are physicians have encouraged me in this decision. While I am concerned with the theoretical aspects of science, I am also interested in the practical. I, therefore, hope to become a practicing physician, ultimately specializing in a particular branch of medicine.

Accomplishments:

Lodge Chief, Vigil Member - Order of the Arrow, BSA
Dormitory Proctor; Freshman Lacrosse team
Gilbert and 2nd Kellogg Speaking Prizes
Manager of Glee Club, Monitor of Choir
Member of Smith-Amherst Chamber Singers
Amherst College Masquers - lead parts
Fraternity V. Pres & Rushing Chairman
Member - Student Comm. to the Faculty

Program Director (three years) and Assistant Camp Director - Camp Waubeeka, B.S.A
Laboratory Instructorship in Advanced Sophomore Chemistry, Quantitative Analysis and Virology - Amherst College
Member and Monitor of Amherst College Chapel Choir
Laboratory Assistantship in Chemistry 25, Chemistry 26 & Biology 71

No comments: