October 29, 2011

Peter N. Rosenthal - November 18, 1975

I've tried for so long to compose a letter in my head, always without success, so finally I can put it off no longer. When I initially heard about Jeff from Ted Pincus it was very much a shock. Here we had lost touch over the past 7 or 8 years, yet still I had very strong and good memories of evenings together in Boston and Cambridge. I suspect it is almost superfluous to tell you how badly I feel at having lost Jeff. As you probably knew we were good friends at Amherst and we had a number of common interests. He was always a stimulating, creative and delightful person to spend time with, thus I'm particularly saddened to learn of his death.

I know these past few years must have incredibly difficult for you and I admire your fortitude in having been able to fulfill the multitude of roles which Jeff's illness must have cast you into.

So I begin to wonder why write? What can I possibly accomplish? I suppose it boils down to the fact that I wanted you to know that Beth and I are thinking about you and wish you to know that some small part of your sense of loss is also shared by others who knew and respected Jeff.

I hope sometime you can pay a visit to use here in Palo Alto, we could very much like to able to get together.

Love,
Peter

No comments: